Prof. Lee Higgins
Director: International Centre of Community Music
York St John University
Community Music, Music Education, Applied Ethnomusicology, Participatory Arts Practices
Professor Lee Higgins is the Director of the International Centre of Community Music based at York St John University, UK. He has held previously positions at Boston University, USA, Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, UK and the University of Limerick, Ireland. Lee has been a visiting professor at Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany and Westminster Choir College, Princeton, USA. He received his PhD from the Irish Academy of Music and Dance, Ireland and is the President of International Society of Music Education (2016-2018). As a community musician he has worked across the education sector as well as within health settings, prison and probation service, youth and community, adult education, and arts organizations such as orchestras and dance. As a presenter and guest speakemore...
Irish Academy of Music and Dance, University of Limerick, Ireland. PhD, (2006) Supervisors: Patricia Shehan Campbell, University of Washington, USA Helen Phelan, University of Limerick, Ireland Title: Boundary-Walkers: Contexts and Concepts of Community Music • Winner of ‘Outstanding Dissertation Award 2008.’ The National [USA] Association for Music Education (Community and Adult Education Special Research Interest Group). Manchester Metropolitan University. BA (Hons) Creative and Performing Arts (Visual Art/Music), 2:1, (1988) West London Institute of Higher Education. Diploma in Music, A Level Music, History of Art, (1985) Associated Board of Music Classical Guitar, Grade 8, (1985)
All publicationsAll publications by this author here
- Higgins, Lee (2010) 成长、路径与根基：英国的社区音乐 Growth, pathways and groundwork: Community music in the United Kingdom. The Many Ways of Community Music: Chinese supplement of The International Journal of Community Music. pp. 81-94.
- Higgins, Lee (2010) Representação de prática: música na comunidade e pesquisa baseada nas artes [Representing practice: community music and arts-based research]. Revista de Associação Brasileira de Educação Musical, 18 (23). pp. 7-14.
- Higgins, Lee (2013) Музыка сообществ. Music in school (August).
- Higgins, Lee (2010) Representing practice : community music and arts-based research. In: Coffman, Don D., (ed.) CMA XII : harmonizing the diversity that is community music activity: proceedings from the International Society for Music Education (ISME) 2010 seminar of the Commission for Community Music Activity. ISME, pp. 103-109
- Higgins, Lee (2007) Safety without Safety: Participation, the workshop, and the welcome. Musiké : international journal of ethnomusicological studies, 3.
- Higgins, Lee (2007) The Impossible Future. Action, Criticism, and Theory for Music Education, 6 (3). pp. 74-96.
- Higgins, Lee (2007) Acts of hospitality: the community in Community Music. Music Education Research, 9 (2). pp. 281-292.
- Higgins, Lee (2009) Community music and the welcome. International Journal of Community Music, 1 (3). pp. 391-400.
- Higgins, Lee (2008) The creative music workshop: event, facilitation, gift. International Journal of Music Education, 26 (4). pp. 326-338.
- Higgins, Lee (2007) Growth, pathways and groundwork: Community music in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Community Music, 1 (1). pp. 23-37.